Say Farewell with a Smile: 91+ Funny Goodbye Email Subject Lines for Goodbyes
In today’s digital age, it’s become common practice to send an email to say goodbye to colleagues or business contacts when leaving a job or a project – especially if you want to go on a positive note.
While the body of the farewell email may be heartfelt, professional, or informative, the subject is often an afterthought.
However, the subject is the first thing the recipient sees and can often set the tone for the farewell message.
For this reason, crafting a farewell email subject line that stands out and makes a lasting impression can work in your favor.
For example, one effective way to make your farewell email subject line memorable is by using humor.
Humor can make your personal email address stand out from the dozens of other farewell emails your recipient might be receiving and can also help make that person’s day a little bit better.
In this blog post, I will explore the benefits of using humor in your farewell email subject, provide tips for crafting funny subject lines, and share a list of 91+ examples to inspire you. So get ready to say goodbye with a smile on your final day!
Check out these 71 email subject lines to get a great response and end on a positive note!
- See you later, alligator!
- Thanks for all the free coffee
- So long, Farewell, auf Wiedersehen, goodbye!
- The end is nigh!
- Catch you on the flip side!
- Don’t cry for me. I’m already gone!
- It’s not goodbye, it will see you soon!
- Time to spread my wings and fly!
- Adios, amigos!
- The final countdown has begun!
- The end of an era!
- I’m outta here!
- Auf wiedersehen, adieu, toodle-oo!
- It’s time to say goodbye, but it’s not the end!
- Hasta la vista, baby!
- It’s been confirmed, it’s been fun, and it’s been enjoyable!
- It’s not goodbye. It’s just a bon voyage!
- Time to move on to new adventures!
- I’m leaving, but the memories will last forever!
- Thanks for the memories!
- Out of sight, out of mind!
- Goodbye and good riddance!
- Time to hit the road!
- Adieu, adieu, to you and you and you!
- Remember to write!
- May the wind be at your back!
- It’s time to say goodbye and start a new chapter!
- It’s been a wild ride, but it’s time to get off!
- The moment of truth has arrived!
- Leaving on a jet plane!
- All good things must come to an end!
- It’s time to close this chapter!
- The end of the road!
- It’s been a slice, but it’s time to go!
- It’s time to say sayonara!
- Don’t worry, be happy!
- The show must go on, without me!
- It’s time to bid adieu!
- Leaving the nest and flying solo!
- See you on the other side!
- Don’t forget to water the plants!
- It’s been a blast, but now it’s time to say goodbye!
- See you in the funny papers!
- It’s time to hit the bricks!
- Don’t forget to turn off the lights!
- Hasta mañana, my friends!
- I’ll be back!
- It’s been great, but now it’s time to go!
- On to bigger and better things!
- The final curtain call!
- Don’t be a stranger!
- It’s time to pack up and move on!
- May the force be with you!
- Keep on keeping on!
- Don’t forget to feed the dog!
- It’s time to say goodbye and good luck!
- Happy trails to you!
- It’s been a pleasure, but it’s time to say Farewell!
- Sayonara, suckers!
- The end of an era, but the start of a new one!
- Keep calm and carry on!
- It’s time to take my leave!
- So long, Farewell. I’ll be back in a bit!
- It’s been real, it’s been fun, but it’s not been real fun!
- Time to say goodbye and make new memories!
- The long and winding road has come to an end!
- It’s time to say goodbye, but not forever!
- Adios, amigos, see you in the funny papers!
- The end of the line!
- It’s time to wave goodbye!
- Keep the home fires burning!
- It’s been a wild ride
The Basics of Crafting a Goodbye Email Subject Line
What to include in a goodbye email subject line
When crafting a goodbye email subject line, it’s essential to keep it short and sweet. The ideal subject line should be at most 10 words, so making every word count is vital.
In addition, your subject line should convey the essence of your message and set the right tone for your email – especially to direct reports. Some elements to consider including in your subject line are your name, position, the reason for departure, and a memorable or humorous phrase.
How to make your subject line stand out
You should be creative and original to make your subject line stand out. Use puns, pop culture references, or wordplay to catch your recipient’s attention.
You could also use humor to create a more lighthearted and memorable experience for your recipient. However, it’s essential to strike a balance between being humorous and being professional.
Common mistakes to avoid in your email subject line
When crafting your subject line, several things could be improved. One mistake is using a subject line that’s too generic or uninformative, such as “Goodbye” or “Farewell.”
Another mistake is using a subject line that’s too long or complex, making it difficult for your recipient to understand the essence of your message. Additionally, avoid using sarcasm or inappropriate humor, which can be easily misinterpreted and create a negative experience for your recipient.
Benefits of Using Humor in Goodbye Email Subject Lines
How humor can help you connect with your audience
Humor can be a powerful tool to connect with your audience in a more personal and relatable way.
When you use humor in your goodbye email subject line, it can make your message more memorable and engaging and can also help to create a positive impression of you in the mind of the recipient.
Humor can also help alleviate any potential tension or discomfort arising from saying goodbye, making the experience more pleasant for both parties.
Examples of successful, funny email subject lines
Many successful examples of funny email subject lines have been used in goodbye emails.
Some examples include “So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, goodbye” (a reference to the song from “The Sound of Music”), “Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened,” and “I’m outta here like a herd of turtles.”
These examples use humor and creativity to catch the recipient’s attention and make a lasting impression.
How to balance humor with professionalism
While humor in your goodbye email subject line can be effective, it’s essential to balance it with professionalism.
You want to avoid using humor that could be perceived as offensive or inappropriate, as this could leave a negative impression on your recipient. Additionally, you should ensure that your humor aligns with the company culture and values.
Ultimately, the goal is to balance being lighthearted and professional so that your recipient will remember you fondly and view you as a competent and respectful colleague.
Types of Funny Goodbye Email Subject Lines
When it comes to using humor in your goodbye email subject line, you can consider several types of funny subject lines. Here are some of the most popular types:
Puns and wordplay
Puns and wordplay are a classic way to inject humor into your subject line. You can use puns to create a double meaning or a humorous twist on words, such as “Time flies when you’re having pun!” or “I’m knot sad to be leaving, I’m bow-tied!”
References to pop culture
Pop culture references can also be an effective way to add humor to your subject line. For example, you can reference popular TV shows, movies, songs, or books to create a funny and memorable subject line, such as “Hasta la vista, baby!” or “I’ll be back… someday!”
Self-deprecating humor can be a great way to make your subject line relatable and endearing. For example, you can poke fun at yourself or your situation, such as “Another one bites the dust” or “Don’t worry, you won’t miss me too much.”
Clever word combinations
Clever word combinations can also be an effective way to add humor to your subject line. For example, you can combine two unrelated words or phrases to create a humorous and unexpected message, such as “Thanks for the mammaries” or “Adios, amigo-nachos!”
One-liners and jokes
Finally, you can use one-liners and jokes to add humor to your subject line. For example, you can use a clever quip or a witty one-liner to make your recipient laugh, such as “Why did the chicken cross the road? To get to a new job!” or “I’m not leaving, I’m just taking my talents to another company.”
Examples of Funny Goodbye Email Subject Lines
Puns and wordplay examples
- “I’m knot sad, I’m bow-tied!”
- “Donut worry, I’ll always have a pizza your heart”
- “Time flies when you’re having pun!”
- “I’m leaving on a good note”
- “It’s been great working with you!”
Pop culture references examples
- “Hasta la vista, baby!”
- “So long, and thanks for all the fish!”
- “May the force be with you… always”
- “You’ll have to find a new partner in crime”
- “I’ll be back… someday!”
Self-deprecating humor examples
- “Another one bites the dust”
- “Don’t worry, you won’t miss me too much”
- “It’s not you, it’s me… actually, it’s probably you”
- “Thanks for putting up with me for so long”
- “I’m not crying, you’re crying (but seriously, don’t cry)”
Clever word combinations examples
- “Thanks for the mammaries”
- “Adios, amigo-nachos!”
- “Farewell, I’ll miss you”
- “Life is a pitch, and then you change jobs”
- “I’m leaving, but I’m still a fungi!”
One-liners and jokes examples
- “Why did the chicken cross the road? To get to a new job!”
- “I’m not leaving, I’m just taking my talents to another company”
- “I’m not saying goodbye, I’m saying see you on LinkedIn”
- “It’s not goodbye, it’s just see you later… like in the break room”
- “I’m quitting to pursue my lifelong dream of not working here anymore”
- Tips for Creating Your Own Funny Goodbye Email Subject Line
If you want to create your own funny goodbye email subject line, here are some tips to keep in mind:
Brainstorming is an integral part of the creative process. You can use mind mapping or word association techniques to generate ideas for your subject line.
You can also ask your colleagues or friends for their input and feedback on your ideas.
How to tailor your subject line to your audience
Your subject line should be tailored to your audience. Consider who will receive the email and what kind of humor they might appreciate.
Ensure your subject line is appropriate for your workplace and avoid anything perceived as offensive or inappropriate.
How to test your subject line before sending it
Before you send your email, testing your subject line is a good idea. You can ask a colleague or friend to read your email and provide feedback on your subject line.
You can also use A/B testing to see which subject line performs better. Send two versions of your email to a small group and track which one gets a better response. This can help you refine your subject line and make it even funnier.
- Best Practices for Sending Goodbye Emails
If you’re sending a goodbye email, here are some best practices to keep in mind:
Timing and frequency of your emails
Consider the timing and frequency of your emails. Ensure you give your colleagues enough notice before you leave, and avoid sending too many emails in a short time.
If you’re sending multiple goodbye emails, try to space them out to avoid overwhelming your colleagues.
Tips for writing a compelling goodbye email message
In addition to a memorable subject line, your goodbye email message should be well-written and professional.
Thank your colleagues for their support and share your contact information if you’d like to stay in touch. Keep your message concise and to the point, and avoid getting too emotional or negative.
How to make sure your email is read and remembered
Consider adding a personal touch to your message to ensure your email is read and remembered.
For example, you could include a favorite memory or inside joke or share a funny photo or video.
Also, consider sending your colleagues a small gift or treat to show your appreciation.
Finally, follow up with your colleagues after you leave to stay in touch and maintain your professional network.
Professional goodbye email examples
Suppose you want to sound professional with your goodbye email to clients or direct reports. In that case, you can try these subject email lines for more ideas.
In conclusion, humor in your goodbye email subject line can make your email more memorable and help you connect with your audience.
By following the basics of crafting a goodbye email subject line and tailoring your subject line to your audience, you can create a subject line that is both funny and professional.
Remember to use the different funny goodbye email subject lines, such as puns and wordplay, references to pop culture, self-deprecating humor, clever word combinations, and one-liners and jokes, to add a personal touch to your email.
To wrap up, I encourage you to try out one of my list’s 91+ funny goodbye email subject lines.
You can also use the tips and best practices I’ve shared to create your unique subject line.
Whatever approach you choose, remember that saying goodbye with a smile is a great way to leave a positive impression on your colleagues and leave a lasting impression.